Monday 13 April 2009

Skellig (2009)

Director: Annabel Jankel
Starring: Bill Milner, John Simm, Kelly Macdonald, Tim Roth
Genre: fantasy
Certificate: 12
Rating: *****
Review: I recently read the book of Skellig, which my dad had to force me to do. The book alone took my breath away, but then the film came out. I was skeptical of this at first - perhaps they would ruin the book, a little like The Golden Compass. However, when I sat down to watch it, I realised that it was stunningly beautiful, and extremely well-done. John Simm does a great performance, and, of course, so does Tim Roth. Yet, the performance that stands out the most is that of child actor, Bill Milner. He has, of course, been in Son of Rambow, in which his acting was also pretty good. The film does not stick entirely to the book - a lot more is given away about Skellig, and there is a beautiful scene in which Michael jumps off a tower, hoping that Skellig will catch him. All in all, this is a well-done film, and, in my opinion, a classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment